Sunday, August 18, 2013

Hero's

I can't remember really ever having heroes growing up. I we didn't watch sports in my house and I never got the man crush on a particular athlete. Losing my father at a young age might of had something to with it as well. But hero worship seems to be a mainstay in our culture. I just don't get it. I have people I admire. I just try not to place unreal expectations on people. I was taught to give it your best and be proud of your efforts.

This brings an addition to a previous post of mine. Half Rant, Half Truth. What is the difference between saying, "okay, I did my best" and blowing so much smoke up your own ass you actually convince yourself that you need major pats on the back.
Adulation can be wonderful. We all like a little pat on the back, a little good for you, nice effort. But when do you draw the line shut the hell up and make it happen. Prior to getting sober my life was a series of DNS or DNF's. But that didn't stop me from being a blowhard and going on and on about how great I was. Time and a DNF allowed me to do some soul searching and decide what lessons can I gain from Ultras.

1 comment:

SeriousLunacies said...

I admire real people. I admire the kind of people who make mistakes, who fail hard, who take it and keep moving. I admire people who push themselves to think more deeply, who compel themselves to try scary things, who commit themselves to being genuine and kind. Sometimes those people are REALLY HARD on themselves.
You're awesome Willem. That's no smoke. You deserve pats on the back and adulation for being the sort of person who takes living so seriously. I think you and Shana are super BOMB. I derive a great deal of inspiration from seeing you take the kind of risks that you both do. Who needs heroes when the real folks are so damn awesome?