Sunday, March 09, 2008

Snow Shoe The Bear


Last month I ran a 10k snow shoe race in Big Bear. Yup, snow shoeing in Southern California. It was a blast! I had called the race director earlier in the week to find out about the course. He said that the run started in town and cruised up for a "bit" leveled off and back down to town. Cool, sounds like a breeze.
The race directors did a great job of getting the course ready. They had a back hoe and volunteers covering the streets with snow. We were able to start and finish in down town Big Bear. It was sweet. I wanted to start out slow, I tend to go like hell when the race starts. I decided it would be in my best interest to book ahead so as not to get poked with hiking poles. It took a bit but all of the sudden I was in third place. Woo hoo. Well I hunkered down and decided I was going to do everything possible to hang on to third. Low and behold I got to stand on the podium. First time ever! I even went home with more shwag than the cost of the race. I actually came out ahead. I liked that feeling.
Hats off to Kahtoola and Equada Outfitters

No comments: