Monday, June 10, 2013

SD100 My date with a Beast

SD100 was unbelievable. I wasn't sure how it was going to go. I had heard that the temps would be high. We stayed in Julian the night before the race. We skipped the usual prerace pasta fest and found a lovely BBQ joint. Yea, I'm not sure if almost 2lbs. of shredded pork and Brisket were a good move, but is sure was tasty. Pre race is always fun, checking in, getting your wrist band and thinking "WHAT AM I DOING"? Lot's of standing about nervously hydrating and catching up with everybody you haven't seen since the last race.

Race morning coffee had to be made in the room as the B&B did not have any brewed at 04:30. A little Cream of Wheat to coat the belly and get things rolling (if you know what I mean ;) ). Off to the start. 20 minute car ride with a bonus sighting of a cool bobcat.

Race time was prompt. Off we go!!!!!! I was blown away by the stunning scenery, pine trees and alpine meadows. I'm thinking "wow" this will be awesome! Well crank up the heat baby it's on. 

I really enjoyed the first 20 or so miles. I hadn't done a bunch of research on the course but have heard great things about the course. Huge descent into Noble Canyon. Scott had advised us to make sure we had an extra bottle, thanks for the advice! I ended up stowing the bottle on my back full of ice and it was so nice. The 31mile aid station was raucous, but that's what happens when Jimmy Dean Freeman is the station captain. A quick 5 mile mile loop and it was back to the bikini-clad aid station.  Drink some more and up the hill. The first time I hit Penny Pines I think I overloaded on food. I was having issues with my nutrition. It probably turned out to save my race. I had to slow my roll. I pressed on and was excited to see my crew. We had a four mile push straight uphill. I was glad that it was all pavement. The following four miles seemed to last FOREVER! People were suffering, bad. I did my best to encourage other runners telling some "we're almost there." Shit was I wrong, that hot-ass climb seemed to last forever. My crew fed me and and got me going. Between Sunrise 1 and Stonewall Mine the wheels started to come off. I was about a mile or more out of Stonewall when I started to stagger down the trail and my head felt a little funny.  I can honestly say that was the worst I have felt in a long time. I was not worried about my finish but actually being pulled from the race for being so delirious. I can't say enough about the support I got from my lovely wife, Susan my pacer and "Jeff" some random volunteer that made sure I ate some quesadillas and chicken soup. This was my turning point. Do I go on or plead to my crew to let me stop. Why do I run these races, why am I suffering, can I make it stop? Best thing for me to do is get out of the chair. Just a quick 5 and I get my pacer........Yay company.


Off through a nice rolling meadow and BOOM up we go.  Up and over a hill that seemed to go on forever. Down...........OMG......down was painful. I was able to make it to Paso Picacho and Susan was ready to go! My only problem with a pacer at that time is that they are fresh and bubbly ready to RUN and all smiley. Susan was terrific she set an alarm on her phone to go off every so often to remind me to drink, eat or take an electrolyte. We had a good run to Sweetwater. 04:00 and a plate of scrambled eggs, bacon and a forced red bull. I was able to run with my lovely wife. I have to say that it was one of the most pleasurable legs of the race.


I am so lucky to not only have a wife that supports me to run races like this, but participates by crewing, volunteering and pacing me. We had a great time running as the sun decided it was time to pop up.   
It was a great run. Susan had a chair waiting for me.


Beware the chair is the Ultra crew's motto. I did not stay long. We took off and by 07:30 it was hot again. We pushed on, a little run a little walk. I know Susan was thinking come on lets DO THIS! I just picked them off one at a time. Heading back to Penny Pines you run into Goats, Old Goats that is. But even a crusty old goat can have lovely partner. There's hope for me to keep mine.


I did my best to move forward at a steady pace. Knowing we were on our way to the finish I mustered some actual running.  Once we left Rat Hole it was ON! I did everything possible to run to the finish slowing to say hello to a father giving his daughter a shoulder ride. We needed a boost and the look on his face when he asked "how far is your race?"


Susan's face says it all. I was done! Excited to finish and grateful for the chance. Thanks to Scott Mills and all of his volunteers. Thanks to Susan R for giving up her weekend. I want to thank all of my Runwell teammates for their support. Most of all I really want to thank my lovely partner and wife Shana.

No comments: