Monday, February 04, 2013

Dang!

So I have this huge draft of a post that I can't seem to find and have to start over. Ugh, writing is one thing but having to do it over and over kind of bums me out.

I was fortunate to be able to go to Egypt and return. The run through the Sahara was unbelievable. My biggest concern was running day after day with the pack on. I look forward to the day I get to run 135 miles all at once at some race, Badwater, Brazil 135, Arrowhead 135. I will run one (or all) of these one day.

I am very grateful to Runwell for giving me the opportunity to run through the Sahara.  Here are a few of the people I would get to know over the next week. Timo and Kriss, my tent mates.

The entire trip seemed somewhat surreal. I had asked to be an ambassador by Linda and agreed to run the Sahara without really grasping the true vastness of the race.  We were summoned to get on the bus with our "box" lunch for the ride out to the sand. I was cracking up as I pulled my "bag" of Subway out of the many boxes sitting in the sun outside of our Buses. We saddled up on to the buses for a four hr, ride out to the sand. I quickly learned the difference between a four hour bus ride here in the states and one in Egypt. Here it would be a couple hundred miles or so, in Egypt maybe 30-100miles. Lets just say I would be happier running through the Sahara than driving through Cairo.

Not sure if that is a smile of enjoyment or the face of reality that this is about to go down. The first night in the desert was all about settling in. I enjoyed my first freeze dried meal and hunkered down for some much needed rest. Now, I usually don't sleep well the night before a race but here I was out in THE SAHARA! OMG, this is epic! This would be my home for the next week.



No comments: