Monday, February 04, 2013

Running for a purpose

Been far too long since I written. I will do my best to go back through my previous unpublished posts and work them in . Facebook is the ultimate blog killer. I tend to look at fb and call it good for the day letting my emails pile up in my inbox only to have to go back and sift through them. Anyhow I need to get to work here. Over the last year I have been an ambassador for Runwell http://
/. Running is not only the quickest way to fitness it also helps to keep me grounded and "right sized". I will get back to "right sized" in a minute. Last weekend I had the pleasure of Running the Calico 50k. In most races I start slow and do my best to finish mid pack and talk to folks along the way. Not today! I have not been training on any kind of regular basis and wanted to see what my legs had in store for me. I decided to start at the front and hold on as long as I could. Little did I realize the front runners were bookin! I held off from dropping too hard and managed to finish 14th or 15th overall. I blew through the first 2 aid stations only slowing to thank the volunteers as I passed. One of the many lessons I learned running through Egypt( Oh yea, I'll write that report) was how little extra food I need to run 50k. My ride was prompt and I was scrambling to grab my gear and head out the door. The only thing I forgot was a post race cap and my inhaler. The cap was not the end of the world but I was a little worried about the inhaler or lack there of it. Turns out it was a non issue. Made it to the race with plenty of time to spare.

No comments: