Sunday, February 24, 2013

Right Sized

What keeps me grounded? I tend to want to think I am always right. I want my opinion to be valued. I want, I want, I want. Well, when that hapens I lose touch with what is important. My first DNF was really hard on me. I moped about for days.

Making matters worse Shana had to pack the truck after probably the worse night's sleep we have ever tried to get. So I'm feeling like a complete failure, a total poser. What am I doing?

That DNF was a gift! It took me a few weeks to really get the concept that I hadn't failed. I pulled the plug on the race at the right time. I had a goal and I was on track to hit it. But the wheels came off and rather than push into injury I hung it up.

People ask me all the time why I run ultras. I'd be lying if I didn't say it boosted my ego. "Look how far I can run (walk, death march)". But more importantly it keeps me right sized! Everytime I think I'm a bad ass runner, I get the smack down. And I like it!

1 comment:

D Loco said...

I like the smack down. I'm glad I found your blog!