Sunday, June 23, 2013

Half Rant Half truth

"Half measures availed us nothing" is a phrase I seemed to have heard somewhere? I guess in my world, it's a phrase I hear often. I think almost every single time I go to a meeting. If I'm paying attention I think it is on page 59.

This comes to mind as I think about when somebody tells me that they ran a marathon a 13.1!
Now, I don't want to come off as some kind of ass. But when did 13.1 become a marathon? Was there a meeting that I missed?  This follows the course of many of my thoughts over the past few years. The inflation of one's accomplishments is nothing new to sport and life. "Dude, I hooked with a total ten last night". Really? I bet she was a seven, max! My favorite all time inflation, is in recovery "when I got into recovery back in.................? " Wow you must have some time? Oh no, I can't stay sober for more than a month, I just keep coming back. I hear that shit all the time.......... I love it! Because they keep coming back. I sometimes wish they would shut the fuck up and listen. I myself thought that because I had not had a drink in two years that I was stone cold sober and went to the occasional meeting. That makes me chuckle now, I was smoking weed on a daily basis and dipping into other substances. But hey, "I didn't drink, I must be sober" That kind of thinking almost killed me. I am lucky. I had that moment of clarity that allowed me to reach out and ask those who really were sober to show me how.

Now I'm no saint and am super guilty of talkin my shit up. But seriously when did running a 13.1 qualify as a marathon? I do cling to the philosophy that if you run a mile and walk a mile you are still
lapping everyone on the couch. As long as you are out there you are killing it!
 
This is where ego comes into play. Am I free from it, can I really live without it? I would like to think I could, but honest enough to know I can't. My ego is delicate dangerous creature. I am sensitive, I am rock hard. These are the dualities of my life.  But as long as I move forward I will be doing okay.



No comments: